Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Soundtrack

For my birthday this year, I made a list of songs I wanted on one disc, gave the list to Mark, and he dug up the songs online and created the disc for me. I love it. It's barely been ejected from my car CD player since I received it. It's an ecclectic mix - songs from my teen years, some from when I listed to mostly country music in my thirties, some newer favorites.

Here's my list (and no laughing at some of the choices)
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah: Do I really need to say anything about this? The world is diminished with his passing so young.

Dixie Chicks- Travelin' Soldier. My singing resembles Natalie Maines' (though no where near as good as she is) so it's always fun from me to sing along with her. Plus, the song is heartbreaking.

White Stripes- Same Boy You've Always Known. I've become a huge Jack White fan, so when I say this is him at his finest, it means something. Plus, the song is heartbreaking. :)

White Stripes- Jolene. I just love this rendition of the Dolly Parton song.

Queen - Don't Try Suicide. Admittedly not the best Queen song, but I used to listen to this one with a friend when we were teens. I was never a suicidal, emo teen, but the song is just plain fun (why does that sound so wrong?). I was a huge Queen fan when I was growing up, and, like Jeff Buckley, the world is diminished by the young passing of Freddie Mercury.

Eagles - After the Thrill is Gone. I could sing along to the Eagles all day, but After the Thrill is Gone is my favorite. And, well, it's heartbreaking.

Mark McGuinn - Mrs. Steven Rudy. Just a fun song to sing along with. Was he a one-hit wonder?

Collin Raye - On the Verge. Such a pretty song. I've been to two of Collin's concerts - so much fun!

Chris De Burgh- The Lady in Red. Another song that is just plain pretty. And then he whispers "I love you" at the end - What's not to love?

Billy Vera and the Beaters - At This Moment. Another one-hit wonder on my list, but I often say this is my favorite song of all time. Am I a bit sappy? Yes, I probably am. Plus, the song is heartbreaking. Ha!

Billy Joel - It's Still Rock'n Roll to Me. One of those that's just such fun to belt out when you're in the car (by yourself).

Hall and Oates - You've Lost that Loving Feeling. I've been a big fan of Daryl and John since I was a teen. This song right after It's Still Rock 'n Roll to Me just keeps the groove going.

I'm already making a list for a second CD. After all, this one has no Springsteen, no Elton, no Simon and Garfunkel. I already know the next will have a Michael Jackson song (She's Out of My Life) and one from Chris Ladoux (Silence on the Line), because, dammit, they're heartbreaking.

So tell me, what would be your sountrack....

No comments:

Post a Comment